Psalm Six: O Lord, Deliver Me

Psalm Six

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.
Have mercy on me, LORD, for I am faint;
heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony.
My soul is in deep anguish.
How long, LORD, how long?

Turn, LORD, and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.
Among the dead no one proclaims your name.
Who praises you from the grave?

I am worn out from my groaning.
All night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.
My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
they fail because of all my foes.

Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the LORD has heard my weeping.
The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
the LORD accepts my prayer.
All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish;
they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame (NIV).

-

I think that one reason why I really love reading through the Psalms is because we can see the realness of David. David was raw and honest. Just look at this Psalm. he cries out with anguish and he is honest about his hurt and his sadness. But do you know what else I really love about David? He is confident in the Lord. Look at the last section of this Psalm! He says that the Lord has heard his weeping. The Lord has heard his cry. The Lord accepts his prayer. David is not doubting whether God hears, he knows God hears. This makes me think of Hebrews 4:16 that says, "Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need". We can approach God with our hurts, our struggles, and even our celebration with confidence that he hears us and will act!! 

What stands out to you in this Psalm?
Does this Psalm make you think of any other verses in Scripture? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm Thirty-Six: Walk in Life

Psalm Seven: I Take Refuge in You

Psalm Twenty-Four: The Earth is the Lord's